Sunday, May 11, 2008

Plenty of podcasts

A much better week... I was already familiar with podcasting as I have been catching up on favourite ABC radio and TV shows that I miss at home for a while now. I enjoyed checking out a few different ones though for this module.

The British Library site was very easy to follow - more so than the ABC I think - but both have a lot to offer. I got hooked on the kids stuff that I found through the Library Success wiki. What a great idea Denver Library has to podcast readings of popular kids books. The children's librarian inside me wants to run out now and record the shortlisted Children's Book Week selection ASAP! The Online Education Database would have been wonderful when I was studying. I didn't actually listen to any of those podcasts as I was a bit too tired at the time to take in such heavy topics!

Libraries could do so much with podcasting. My heart lies with children's services so I would love to follow Denver's lead and podcast kids stories - maybe as a follow up to our regular storytime session. Podcasts of the rhymes and songs we use for our lapsit sessions would also be useful for the mums as an accompaniement to the sheets we hand out - just in case they have forgotten the tune.

Podcasts and vodcasts, online video - all are ideal tools for staff education. Inservice sessions would be much more accessible when there was no travelling involved.

No comments: