Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The final countdown


I joined Facebook last year when my daughter went overseas and although I am not a regular participant I do enjoy the interaction and the wide variety of applications it has to offer. I love the idea of libraries being on Facebook or other social networking sites and I have now become a fan of The British Library.

A Facebook (or other social networking service) page could complement or maybe even be an alternative to a library website for libraries with little IT or technical backup to keep a website updated. A Facebook or Bebo page could be suitable for teen groups in libraries. It may help to boost their membership numbers and enable them to interact with similar groups in other libraries.

These sites may also provide an alternative method of answering client queries especially those about local history or genealogy. Other members beside library staff just may have valuable information to provide.

If a number of libraries were involved there may be lots of opportunities to share resources or expertise. Perhaps an online book discussion group with members in a number of different libraries….


It has been an informative and exciting 12 weeks. A bit of information overload and I feel that I have only scratched the surface of each module's content. Hopefully it will all still be up there to refer to every now and again when I have a moment of inspiration and think "I know how we can do that!"

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulations on completing Learning 2.0! You are now in the running for the Prize Draw. Keep your fingers crossed!

I'm glad you have enjoyed the past few months and I know you will continue to discover new things.

Victoria